Our food system, both in the US and across the globe, is grossly unequal, causing environmental devastation and leaving many humans all over the Earth suffering from diet-related illnesses - starvation, diarrhea, diabetes, obesity, heart disease and hypertension to name a few. It is important that young people understand “food” from a wide variety of perspectives and gain tools for taking action.
How does what you eat impact your world?
1. Where does our food come from?
2. What does organic mean?
3. What is the cost of getting food to my table?
1. Keep a food journal for a week of everything you eat.
2. Visit a local composting facility or community garden.
3. Make a map of grocery stores in different parts of the city and try to analyze food sources for your community.